When I got home my initial idea was to glue them together and just give each piece a touch of color, but as I was arranging them I realized they looked much better staggered. So I went with that.
I'm on a paint dipped kick lately so I went with that same idea for this. Here is what I did.
- I taped off the part I wanted to paint and then picked random spots to paint yellow. I wasn't sure how I was going to arrange them when I painted them.
- I added a coat of matte varnish to seal the paint and make it look a little more finished. This step probably isn't totally necessary, but I like the sheen the varnish gives the paint.
- I started gluing the pieces together, randomly. My first thought was to go with wood glue, but that took too long to set, so I used a hot glue gun. Poplar is very, very light weight, so the hot glue held it together fairly well.
- I added 3 pieces of wood on the back to act as a brace and hold the whole thing together. I used the wood glue on the braces in the back to make it a little bit stronger.